River Avon Cycleway Bridge, Warwick
C. Spencer Ltd. for Warwick District Council
The bridge carries a cycleway route over the River Avon in St. Nicholas Park within Warwick’s conservation area. A 32m clear span is achieved using a slender low-profile steel arch integral with the deck and which was detailed to suit erection as a single piece without site joints. It delivered an aesthetically pleasing and economic solution that was unobtrusive in this sensitive location. The twin arch ribs are of square steel hollow sections curved to circular profile and painted dark green to blend with the sylvan surroundings.
Cass Hayward Role(s)
- Options study and design for tender stage competition
- Detailed design for construction of arch structure and foundations
- Preparation of fabrication drawings for steelwork manufacture
- Award June 1995, completed October 1995
- Cost c. £200,000
- Bridge 42m long with 32m clear span over river
- Arch rise 2.6m and 17.5m wide waterway clearance envelope
- Procured by the Council using a design competition leading to appointment of the Contractor for a design and construct Contract.
- Architectural feature handrails
- Spread trench fill foundations 3 to 4m deep at the river banks backed by approach embankments